Clout \ˈklau̇t\: Pull, influence
Do you have it in this day and age of social media? How can you tell? As a blogger, I found this question particularly relevant. Then, I stumbled across an article in Wired magazine, “What Your Klout Score Really Means.” What the heck is Klout?
Klout is a company dedicated to determining the influence of every online user. Using specific criteria, each online user is given a Klout Score. If you have a Facebook account or twitter account, you have a Klout score, you just might not know it. According to Klout, your score is composed of the following measurements:
- True Reach: How many people you influence
- Amplification: How much you influence them
- Network Impact: The influence of your network
Why does this matter?
As someone who blogs, my Klout score matters because the higher it is, the more successful I am at reaching and influencing people. If you aren’t a blogger, why should you care about a Klout score? A few reasons:
1) If you are in any type of Marketing, Communications, Social Media or consumer-driven profession, then you want to know your Klout score. Before you know it, your Klout score will become part of interview criteria. Potential employes are going to want to know the power you have to influence audiences and your Klout score is a direct reflection of your ability.
2) You can earn free stuff! Yes, REALLY! Good free stuff too – top influencers have even earned laptops and airline tickets! You can earn discounts in various categories, ranging from entertainment to food to retail. The idea behind the free perks is that if you are an influencer, people will look to you for your opinion of a brand. If the brand gives you something for a discount or for free, then you are more likely to share your thoughts on the brand or product. So get to it, folks!
3) You can’t fight the future. Social Media is driving consumer marketing. Gone are the days of traditional marketing. Instead, we look to the people we know and trust to tell us whether a product or service is worth our time and money. It’s time to embrace the future of consumer-driven consumption!
Get started on Klout here. At least check out your score to see where you stand!
Questions about Klout? Check out their FAQ page.