I was fortunate enough to attend the launch of the Edited by Goodwill Pop-Up shop at the Pepco Edison Place Gallery on Tuesday night. Pop-up shops are all the rage lately and I think it is quite the novel concept for Goodwill to take advantage and host one of their own right smack, dab in the middle of the city. And boy, did it pay off! Tuesday night was a limited attendance event and the space was filled to the brim with shoppers sipping on cocktails, viewing portrait art, taking advantage of complimentary hair and makeup consultations and scouring rack after rack of bargain buys.
When I say bargain, I mean it. I picked up a pair of gently used Nine West nude pumps for $9.98. YES – less than $10. The best part – the fact that they are used means they are already broken in for me! Say goodbye to blisters! I also found a J Crew olive green corduroy blazer for my brother-in-law. Some other great finds (that I didn’t purchase) included a few J Crew sleeveless blouses, a Monique Lhuillier cocktail dress, Calypso for Target sundress and tons of other brand names.
Here are a few tips for shopping consignment and gently used merchandise:
- Shoes, accessories and homegoods are some of the best finds
- Jackets and blazers are good items to search for as they are typically less worn than other types of clothing
- Make sure to check for stains, loose threads, small tears or any other signs of abuse that will you might not see at first glance
- Check for brand names – thrift shopping is the quickest way for a girl on a budget to snag a DVF/Monique/Milly/insert=any-other-top-designer-here
- Trends always come full circle – you could score big on someone’s secondhand 70′s disco dress or 90s denim vest
To take advantage of these tips, shop the Edited Goodwill Pop-Up shop, open through Friday, so hurry up and get over to Chinatown to check it out! If you are going to shop, it might as well be for a good cause! You can even stop off at Rosa Mexicano for a margarita and a quick review of your new purchases.